Friday, February 12, 2010

Who Needs Cupid Anyway?

While driving home today I was channel surfing, trying to find something, anything worth listening too. I finally stopped on a station with a hot topic. A listener sent in a letter asking what should she do about her husband who want to go to the all star weekend with his boys instead of spending Valentines Day with her. This seemed to be a no brainer, at least it was for me. Honestly I’m not quite sure what an all-star weekend is all about, I'm guessing it has something to do with sports. I could careless when it comes to sports, so I'm not sure of how big of a deal it is to go. I imagine it is up there with the supper bowl (not sure who won that either).

She states in her letter that they had plans to spend a romantic day together at the hotel with the candles and the lingerie etc., but he now he wants to cancel and go with his friends. She also states that he would make it up to her next weekend, that they would do everything that was planed and more.

So what’s the problem? What is the big issue about Valentines Day? Valentines Day is just a commercial holiday invented to create revenue by selling cards that profess everlasting love and candy that makes you fat (if it’s the good kind) and flowers that somehow double in price just for this one particular day.

Let the man go to all-star weekend! And let his guilt pay for your expensive spa treatment while he is away and when he returns show your husband that everyday is Valentines Day as long as you are with someone you love.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with both of you. I feel exactly where the writer is coming from because my boyfriend does things like that all the time, so ive learned to live with it. But it becomes a problem when its an all the time thing. My boyfriend always waits til the last minute to do something especially when its important to me. To me Valentine's Day wouldn't be a big deal if everyday would be considered special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valentines Day, the day that celebrates love between two people, the day when we wear lots of red and get special gifts. One would think we could celebrate this day more often than that one day a week, however, I am a fan of Valentine's Day being that extra speial day with the one or one's you love. I am all for a guys weekend but not on Valentine's Day weekend- No way! Although I would never say he couldn't go...I would try to influence him to stay. This Valentine's Day my husband and I had plans to go out for breakfast followed by an afternoon of ice-skating. Instead, we slept all day, had lunch at home and got some much needed rest. Either way- Valentine's Day is that special day and one should put aside time to be with the one(s) they love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you. I HATE Valentine's Day. It is a money make for Hallmark, and depresses people that don't have someone to spend it with. It is a made up day and shouldn't matter.
    I would let my boyfriend go to the Allstar game, he was in Ohio for the Hawks game with his friends for Valentine's day. I didn't mind, I figured he'd make it up to me next weekend.
    I am not a fan of Valentine's day, if you are truly in love with someone.. It should be like celebrating Valentine's day everyday.
    I completely agree with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a way I know what you mean. However, in a way I disagree with you. I do believe Valentine's Day is just another excuse for Hallmark to make money. To me, Valentine's day is special because it is also my anniversary, so I expect all that romantic stuff.
    In this case I would just let him go with his boys to the all star weekend, I am a basketball fan myself and I wouldn't miss out on this opportunity. I think it goes with a case by case basis.

    ReplyDelete